PARAPLEGIC REHABILITATION CENTRE PLAYS A VITAL ROLE IN THE LIVES OF OUR DISABLED COMRADES-IN-ARMS
The aim of Paraplegic Rehabilitation Centre is to ensure that the residents have a positive outlook in life and they should remember that “ IT IS NOT THEIR DISABILITY BUT ABILITY THAT COUNTS”.
To achieve this, the Centre works with the following objectives:-
- Admit Paraplegic/Quadriplegic soldiers for their medical care and extended rehabilitation that includes physical, psychological, and financial rehabilitation.
- Provide after care for minor ailments, pressure sores, urinary tract infection, and bowel upset for which they are prone/ pre-disposed.
- Provide physiotherapy / Hydrotherapy facilities to improve the residual muscle power.
- Provide Occupational Therapy, Vocational Training in sheltered workshop & opportunities for job placement.
- Provide Care for their welfare i.e. settlement of pension account, education of children & assistance for interfacing with the Defence Ministry and State/Central Government.
- Act as nodal agency to impart training to Doctors and Paramedics of the Armed Forces and Civil hospitals for rehabilitation of paraplegics and quadriplegics.
Personnel who have been affected by a Spinal Chord Injury (SCI) have one of the following post injury conditions:-
- Paraplegia : Paralyses both lower limbs which also in turn affects bladder and bowel control.
- Quadriplegia : Affects all four limbs, which in turn also affect bladder & bowel control. It is one of the most severe forms of physical disablility that can be afflicted upon an individual.
Post treatment, affected personnel are wheelchair borne and require life long medical care to prevent complications such as:-
- Urinary Tract Infections which lead to renal failure.